Update: this is the first year call. Submissions closed on April 19 2013. The new 2014 call is open March-May 2014 (rolling selection)
February 6, 2013: Open Call For Projects
SpaceGAMBIT is starting its project funding activity with a call for community built, open-source projects in line with our mission of promoting humanity’s long term survivability and expansion into space. Successful applicants will receive a $5,000-20,000, 3-4 month contract. This Call For Projects is open as of February 5, 2013 and will remain open until April 19, 2013. Submissions can be made any time during this period. Selection will be on a rolling basis. SpaceGAMBIT is developing some other funding activities to be announced soon, but we need to get the initial batch of projects rolling as soon as possible. (We are actively seeking co-sponsors for these other activities.)
Projects should address one or more of these themes:
- Education: Educating makers and general public in maker and space-related technologies, programs promoting space and community spaces; Curating maker education resources; Reproducible workshops and classes; Generally building the educational infrastructure spaces needed.
- Habitats: Developing design and field experience with tools and technologies to help humanity survive here and away from earth; Low cost, reliable and environmentally sustainable sustenance, shelters, (semi) closed systems, etc. Projects with a humanitarian focus health and hygiene solutions for rural communities and disaster-stricken areas will also be considered.
- Near Earth Exploration: Sub/Low orbital, Nano/Micro-satellite development, testing, training and support. in-situ resource experiments and technology development.
- Use the basic format provided in the SpaceGAMBIT Project Registration Form available on Google Docs.
- Community Space: All projects must be coordinated through a collaborative community space such as a hackerspace, makerspace, FabLab, etc.
- Accounting: All money needs to be accounted for with standard accounting practices, and digital reports submitted to SpaceGAMBIT. Example spreadsheets will be provided.
- Budget: Up to $20,000.
- Timeframe: 3-4 months from funding to completion, including documentation and reporting. All reports must be submitted by August 30, 2013, or end of Period of Performance, whichever is sooner.
- Documented Open Tech: All projects must be open source, open hardware and open documentation. Projects MUST be documented in an open manner that allows others in the community to replicate the work.
- Innovative: Projects must be innovative and evolutionary. No stunts.
- Fill in the Project Registration Form
- If you have any questions or comments, email them to email@example.com
- We’ll get back to you within 3-5 working days with feedback
- Submission period runs through April 19th, but projects will be considered (and possibly funded) as they are received.
SpaceGAMBIT is a federally funded (USGovt) program run by Maui Makers LLC. It is backed by an international team of advisors and collaborators.